Thursday, September 21, 2017

Finishing


This is the year of finishing things. I hope.

But since I have already finished Black Widow and now I have finished Boston Molasses Flood, I'm going to call it the year of finishing things! I took one other quilt to a professional quilter, so I am counting that one as well, quite frankly. There are just some that ask to be done professionally.

Here is the "thrown over a chair" picture of Boston Molasses Flood. I am proud of this one - even though it took somewhere along the lines of 4 years to complete. At least and at last it's done! Woohoo! It is hand-quilted with variegated brown thread in waves, to symbolize the waves of molasses that flooded part of Boston in the early 1900's. The shape (as I may have posted before) is based on a map of damage done by the molasses. Each piece is one of many shades of brown. The overall effect is much more pleasant that I expected.

That's not to say it's going to any competitions! It's not that good - and I see all the errors. But I am concentrating on how nice the whole composition turned out. Even the binding complements the whole. Originally I was going to make binding and do a traditional binding. Instead, the borders are wide enough that I could trim the back and use the front as binding. I bound it front-to-back, leaving the brown to "run" around to the back fabric.

Next up on the quilting block is Heart of (Lime)Stone. I've got to pin it and hoop it, and then away I go again.

And on the piecing block... Ballet Folklorico. (I'm terrified, really I am).

S

No comments:

Post a Comment