Friday, September 1, 2017

Patchwork Fedoras and Self-Imposed Limits


I looked online for photos or patterns for a patchwork fedora, so I could get rolling on the Indiana Jones Quilter's Guild (IJQG). The patterns I found were pretty bad... and the pictures I found weren't even fedoras. They were trilbies. Different hat entirely! (I have this whole hat rant, but it's not really worth it. Suffice to say, nothing I found was accurate enough for my tastes). So for now, it's a nice plain fedora. Still looking. I suppose I could find an old one that's not in great shape and applique patchwork over it. That might be the best, really.

Finally finally finished the Black Widow quilt. Finally. (Did I say that enough?). I am now returning to hand-quilting the Boston Molasses Flood quilt. I designed the pattern, and will never sell it, because 70 degree triangles are dumb. The shape of each piece is taken from the map of partial and massive destruction from the flood of molasses, and the quilt is all shades of brown. Seemed appropriate!

At any rate, it is half-way hand quilted. I stopped to work on other things and just haven't gotten back to it. So.... my next quilting goal is to finish quilting and bind it. This is important to me because it will feel as though I am making a dent in all the pieced quilts! In fact, I have imposed on myself the rule that I am not allowed to work on piecing another quilt until I get another one quilted.

Now, two of them will go out to be professionally done. I don't know how the quilter will react to one of them, but the other should be an easy thing. I... I don't know about the first. It's a design I want to use for the front cover of a book about quilting the way you want. After all, that's what we are all about - doing things your way. We are not modern quilters. We are not traditional quilters. We are not art quilters. Or, rather, we are not ONLY any of the above. Some of the quilts I wouldn't know what to call. Except useful, mostly. But two will go out to be done by a pro, and that will knock my list down a few! (Yay!!!)

And then, I am going to tackle Ballet Folklorico. That should keep me occupied for a LONG time - I am trying things I haven't ever tried before, and I am not even sure I have all the fabric for it yet! But in my mind it is gorgeous, and I will work hard to get as close to that image as I can.


Here is the image that inspired the quilt. I love the way her skirt swirls, love the design and the movement in the photo. We shall see if I can get close to what I am looking for.

More photos to come - it's a long weekend, and there should be plenty of quilting and planning and sewing done, which means more pictures!

S


No comments:

Post a Comment