Monday, February 5, 2018

Monday


This weekend was a good one in the studio and in general.

Saturday was partially devoted to estate sales. We hit a couple, and came home with stuff from a quilter's estate sale. In the afternoon we worked in the studio, and got stuff done. Sunday was almost a repeat, except that instead of estate sales, we drove out to Canton and walked First Monday Trade Days. I got an alpaca scarf in gray (so soft!), and the roomie got a couple of small things. That's quite the change from buying sewing machines, which is usually what happens!

One of my favorite places at First Monday is a shop that sells 'vintage' linens (scarves, tea towels, doilies, and all sorts of stuff). One of the best things about them is they have a massive collection of prom and wedding dresses that they sell for $10.00 each. Yup! I've used one to make a test version of a future Ren Faire character - instead of expensive fabric, I got a fancy dress for $10.00. Can't beat that!

That's me in the purple hat - can you tell we have fun? (That is not from this past weekend). I love rummaging through their textiles! And yes, we picked up the mess we made!

I have finished top number three, but I am not permitted to show it just yet. As soon as I am allowed, I will post pics. I like it more than I thought I would, in all honesty. It's not my colors, but the overall effect is pretty much what I wanted. (That's three down, for those who are counting! Five more to go!)

I am shifting around my tops to make, because I was reminded of a date I have to meet this year.  :) My parents' ruby anniversary. 60 years in June. I know the quilt I want to make them. It's just making it. It will jump to the top of the list so I can make it and get quilting on it!

After that, four more: two new ones (sigh), and then Ballet Folklorico and Goth Cathedral Window. Ever-shifting quilting list, that's for sure!

Designing new patterns that might actually make sense to other people now... that's one reason I can't show pics of the newest completed top. Plus, I promised. :) We're going to write out the patterns and then see if one of the people we know can make a quilt out of it. Yay beta test quilters!

Tonight, if there is time after groceries and laundry and dinner, I'll head back out to the studio and maybe take a picture of the back of the new top.  :) Just 'cause! And work on the parental quilt pattern.

This weekend starts the prep for the local Renaissance Festival. Since I teach History out there, my sewing time will be limited for a while. Not to mention the fact that since I gained weight, I have to make a new bodice. Boo! But I am going to do what I can. I am 3/5th of the way through my tops, and 1/5th through quilting for the year. That's not bad for the beginning of February!









No comments:

Post a Comment