Wednesday, August 2, 2017

More ideas and More ideas!


Whilst I was working on random things in the studio, my brain decided to go play somewhere else. It did NOT want to co-operate, and instead of working on the quilt I wanted to work on, I made two Christmas stockings, planned 4 others, and figured out the Incredible Hulk quilt design.

Don't get me wrong - I like the creativity of my brain. But really... it would be so much easier to accomplish things if my brain didn't wander off under its own steam and do whatever!

At any rate, ideas are a good thing. But the problem is - how do you keep the energy up for those ideas? You can keep them organized and orderly, but what about the energy to actually later go back and work on the quilts? (or stories, for writers)

I have scrapbook paper boxes that stack that I use for project ideas and the fabrics to go with. But there are always boxes getting filled - far more than are getting emptied! How do I force myself to sit down and finish what I have before starting something new? I haven't figured out that little quandary.

While walking from my desk to the printer at work, I came up with yet another quilt idea - in the series of "Disaster Quilts" I am in the process of making. #1 - Isaac's Storm, after the Galveston hurricane of 1900; #2 - Boston Molasses Flood (look it up; it's weird and awful!); and now #3 - The Tunguska Event. (also look this one up if you've not heard of it!) I've planned it out in detail, color flow, layout, the whole thing. When am I going to have time to make this one?? I am already hand-quilting 2 quilts, have two others hooped, and five others waiting to be worked on!

This is not to say that I am succumbing to despair. That would be silly. But I wonder when (if ever) I will have time to finish all the things floating through my head. Ultimately, which would be worse - running out of ideas, or running out of time? My vote is running out of ideas would be far far worse.

Oh, and links: Tunguska  https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/30jun_tunguska/

Boston Molasses Flood: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood






No comments:

Post a Comment